Monthly Archives
« Visiting the Past | Main | Opinions That Lead to Confusion »

Finding Time to be Positive

Romans 8:5-6  

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

I think it is harder to be positive today. There is so much negativity that feeds into our lives everyday. Here are some statistics you might find interesting. 

The National Science Foundationpublished a research article regarding human thoughts per day. The average person has about 12,000 to 60,000 thoughts per day. Of those, 80% are negative.  95% are repetitive thoughts. 

If we have an average of 50,000 thoughts per day, that translates into 2100 thoughts per hour.  

95 percent of brain activity is beyond our conscious awareness. Numerous cognitive neuroscientists have conducted studies that have revealed that only 5% of our cognitive activities (decisions, emotions, actions, behavior) is conscious whereas the remaining 95% is generated in a non-conscious manner.


Part of the negative input in our lives goes back to what we are centered upon.  Are the promises of God at the center of how I live my life? I am not one of these people who believe that we should never deal with negativity, because dealing with the negative is cause for a course correction.

  • If I am overweight the course correction would be to eat less and exercise more. 
  • If I am not earning enough money the course correction is spend less and get another part-time job. 
  • If I am lonely all the time the course correction is to join more where you can have an opportunity to make new friends. 

Most course corrections are often the result of a negative reaction to a situation in your life. The problem most of us find is that negativity never goes away, it continually manifests itself in such a way that it creates a habit of thought that sets a foundation for how we see life. Our worldview is based upon negative results from everywhere. Some research has indicated, for example, that much of our worry (negative stress) never happens. 

85 percent of what subjects worried about never happened, and with the 15 percent that did happen, 79 percent of subjects discovered either they could handle the difficulty better than expected, or the difficulty taught them a lesson worth learning. This means that 97 percent of what you worry over is not much more than a fearful mind punishing you with exaggerations and misperceptions.


This is all a part of the way the world rolls because of where they are centered. What would happen if NBC news would do their whole evening newscast based on positive news? What if CNN (the Hate Trump network) would go through a whole day and say nothing but positive things about our President? 

What would happen if we started our day with more prayer about keeping centered upon God’s promises to help us cultivate more hope in our lives? 

Again keeping in mind there is a use for the negative, but its use is to motivate us to change and to make course corrections in our lives. However, the hope we have in God is to be the centering piece in our daily routines. 

So in your 50,000 thoughts today let us try to capture all those thoughts and subject them to the Lordship of Jesus Christ!

-2 Corinthians 10:5 

We are destroying sophisticated arguments and every exalted and proud thing that sets itself up against the [true] knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought and purpose captive to the obedience of Christ

The world has nothing positive to add to your life. Relationships are fragile, dreams can change, aging is inevitable and life is messy every day. Our only sense of keeping a positive attitude and outlook on life is through God’s Word and prayer. These keep us centered on the important elements that are timeless and transcends this world into the next. Let’s conquer our 40,000 negative thoughts today by focusing on more of what God promises us. 

Psalm 119:15 

I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.

Keeping it honest and truthful….K

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

References (4)

References allow you to track sources for this article, as well as articles that were written in response to this article.

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>
Facebook Twitter Vimeo Rss
Connect with Larry Kutzler