There was a day when you were innocent until a court of law found you guilty, but today, you are guilty because the media says you are. Minnesota Viking Ardian Peterson is a case in point. First of all, it should be illegal to release anything to the media, without a court approval, especially if there is an on going criminal investigation. I am not supporting his over zealous spanking tirade, but with a few pictures and media attention, you are guilty. What happens next is that you lose your job before you even get to court to sort things out. We had another NFL sports figure, Ray Rice, lose his job recently because he battered his then girlfriend, now wife, and it was caught on tape. This incidents are not good for public relations, so the NFL had to react. Again, I am not supporting spousal or child abuse, but shouldn't things be done through legal channels, rather than be tried in the media? If either player has violated the law, then let the law and a jury decide their fate, not a football league. I realize there are league standards of conduct, but the the evidence still needs to be weighed by a jury and a judge before any punitive punishments can be metered out. Both athletes were convicted in the media, and I think that is wrong. However, in some ways, I am glad that it took both these National Football figures, gods to many Americans, to illustrate the lack of character in our society. Lets take a look at how women are abused.
- One in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
- An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year.
- 85% of domestic violence victims are women.
- Historically, females have been most often victimized by someone they knew.
- Females who are 20-24 years of age are at the greatest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence.
- Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to the police
It is a crime for men to beat their wives, and all wives should be armed with a plan if it ever happens to them. It is wrong for a wife to forgive her husband and stay in an abusive situation without the husband getting help for his anger issues.
Let's take a look at child abuse in the United States.
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds
- More than four children die every day as a result of child abuse.
- It is estimated that between 50-60% of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on death certificates.
- Approximately 70% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4.
- Child abuse occurs at every socioeconomic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, within all religions and at all levels of education.
- About 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse their own children, continuing the horrible cycle of abuse.
We do have a problem with child and spousal abuse, but it is a problem with society, not just in the NFL
So do I think the NFL was wrong in metering out their own justice? Yes I do. Why? Because both players will be reinstated shortly and with no help with their issues. Adrian Peterson by this weekend, and Ray Rice, well, it is just a matter of time before he legally gets his job back. If the NFL really cared about their players, they would spend some of their billions of dollars to help these young players build some character in their lives. Perhaps some off season character building seminars would be helpful to reshape the foundations in the lives of these players. For example, the Minnesota Vikings have more incidents with poor character judgements from their players, than any other NFL team. I think they could spend some time on character discussions.
With the national dialogue going on right now about these two players and the abuse they brought upon their families, I think it s the appropriate time we ask some serious questions as Americans. "What am I living for? More money, or fame? Or is there a higher calling to life? One of the prophetic signs of the last days, will be that families will disintegrate and a persons enemies will be those from within the family. This tells me that there is a loss of character within a society where this is allowed to happen.
Matthew 10:3636 And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.